The Yough Catholic Community
of Connellsville and Dunbar
St. Aloysius Parish
From humble beginnings of a Catholic community in 1869 served on a monthly basis by a visiting priest, the Dunbar Catholic family has grown to number over 400 families. St. Aloysius Church began in 1845 with 45 families worshiping in a church built from bricks made by these families. The congregation grew and under Father Arthur Devlin constructed a school and purchased a cemetery. (He is the only priest buried there.)
In 1888, a new school and convent were built and staffed by the Sisters of Mercy from Pittsburgh. Seven years later in 1895, the Sisters of St. Joseph from Baden came and remained in Dunbar to teach the children until 1969 through the consolidation with Conn Area Catholic School in Connellsville. Six daughters from the parish joined this order of nuns. Father Maurus Wallace ordained in 1957 was the first vocation to the Priesthood.
The present church building located on Ranch Road was constructed in 1967 on the Lazy Hour Ranch property. The grounds of the church reflect the special devotion to Jesus, Mary, His Mother, and the Saints. A beautiful shrine built in honor of Saint Pio, additional landscaping and a fountain in our pond have added to the beauty of our property.