To assist us in our journey through the desert of Lent the Catholic Community of Connellsville is offering the following opportunities for spiritual growth.
We encourage each and every parishioner to take advantage of at least one of these opportunities. Remember, Lent is a time of sacrifice. Give some of your time this Lent to grow closer to Our Lord Jesus Christ!
DAILY PARISH MASS Monday through Friday the Sacred Mysteries are offered each weekday at 8am. IF your schedule permits, why not try to attend at least once a week in addition to your Sunday obligation? Every time one shares in the celebration of the Eucharist innumerable graces are gained. Understandably there are many who due to work or children CANNOT come to morning Mass, but let’s face it; there are MANY retired persons who could offer at least an extra half hour to the Lord! I see many parishioners at the various breakfast spots on the rare occasion I go out after Mass. Couldn’t some time be spent with the Lord being nourished SPIRITUALLY first?
2. WEDNESDAY EVENING MASS Each Wednesday of Lent there will be an evening Mass at 6pm at St. Rita. This provides a great opportunity to spend a little extra time with Yeshua for those whose schedule precludes joining in morning Mass.
3. MASS AT BLESSED PIER GIORGIO FRASSATI CHAPEL, GEIBEL Each Friday of Lent Mass will be celebrated at 7:10am, except for March 23 and Good Friday. These Masses are open to the public. For some people 8am Mass is too late because of work, a bit earlier works fine. Maybe YOU are one of those people and God is calling YOU to seize this opportunity! (PLEASE note, that if school were to be cancelled on account of inclement weather THIS Mass likewise would be cancelled.)
4. ADORATION OF THE BLESSED SACRAMENT Each Wednesday at Saint Rita Church the Eucharist is exposed for Adoration from 8am Mass until Mass at 6:00pm. This is a wonderful opportunity to spend time with Yeshua, deepening your relationship with Him. Remember, relationships ONLY grow when we spend time together; our relationship with the Lord is certainly NO DIFFERENT!
5. STATIONS OF THE CROSS Wednesdays at 12:10pm at Immaculate Conception and Fridays at 6:30pm at St. John. Also, Stations will be prayed at Geibel at 1:50pm each Friday (EXCEPT February 16, March 23 and Good Friday) in the gym. The public is welcome to join this student-led prayer. PLEASE note that since this is a SCHOOL activity there will be NO Stations if school were to be cancelled due to weather.
6. HOLY HOUR, EVENING PRAYER, BENEDICTION Each Monday of Lent at Immaculate Conception the Blessed Sacrament will be exposed for Adoration from 5:30-6:30pm at which time we will pray Evening Prayer (Vespers), concluding with Benediction. Evening Prayer is one of the “hours” of the Divine Office/Breviary/Liturgy of the Hours which, along with the Mass, constitutes the official public prayer of the Church.
7. BIBLE STUDY with Tom Severin Tuesday evenings 6:30-8pm at Sciberras Hall (Immaculate Conception social hall). Tom will be sharing his wealth of knowledge and lead a Bible study on St. Luke’s Gospel. You need only to bring your Bible.
8. DIVINE MERCY MONDAYS Join us after the 8am Mass Monday mornings to pray the Divine Mercy chaplet.
9. CATHOLICISM SERIES This year our Catholic Community will be offering Bishop Robert
Barron’s Catholicism Series during Lent and Easter. This 10-part series is an immersion into
the art, architecture, literature, beliefs and practices of the Catholic tradition through breath-
taking and high-definition cinematography. Be guided by one of the most captivating
presenters of our time. Read more or preview the trailers at http://catholicism.wordonfire.org
Not to be missed! Bring a friend Thursdays at 1PM and 6:30PM in Bucci Hall with Fr. Bob
and Fr. Dan.
February 15, 22
March 1, 8, 15
April 12, 19, 26
May 3, 10
10. TUESDAY LENTEN LUNCHES Connellsville Ministerium’s Lenten Lunches, TUEs, 12-
1pm, (except during Holy Week) at Connellsville Presbyterian Church. Various clergy will
be the featured speakers. Our own Fr. Bob will speak on FEB 20. Women’s groups from
various congregations will prepare the lunches. Our Christian Mothers will be preparing the
lunch on March 20. No cost for meals, but free-will donations are welcome.
11. SACRAMENT OF PENANCE A traditional and very worthwhile (read: NECESSARY for
many of us sinners!) preparation for Easter JOY is to celebrate the Sacrament of Penance,
confessing our sins and receiving God’s mercy. We will offer multiple opportunities to “set
things right with God.” In addition to the regular Saturday evening confessions at 5:15pm at
Immaculate Conception there will be confessions on four Saturdays of Lent (communal
Penance Services are scheduled for the additional two Saturdays) as follows:
◆ 17 February - Saint John, 11:30am
◆ 24 February - Saint Rita, 11:30am
◆ 3 March - Saint John, 11:30am
◆ 10 March - Saint Rita, 11:30am
12. COMMUNAL PENANCE SERVICES Are scheduled as follows:
Monday 5 March, 7pm - Saint Florian, United
Thursday 8 March, 7pm - Saint Raymond of the Mountains, Donegal
Tuesday 13 March, 7pm - Saint Aloysius of Gonzaga, Dunbar
Saturday 17 March, 11am - St. John the Baptist, Scottdale
Thursday 22 March, 7pm - Saint John the Evangelist, Connellsville
Saturday 24 March, 11am, - Saint Pius X, Mt. Pleasant